1 and 1/2tsp instant yeast
1tbsp Olive oil
1 and 1/2tsp coarse sea salt
Some yellow cornmeal, for dusting and sprinkle over the pan
2 cups boiling water, for baking
I have wanted to make proper french bread for ages and had almost given up when I came across this full proof recipe. You can dispense with the cornmeal if you wish. This made delicious bread loaves at the fraction of the price of shop bought. I used Tescos instant yeast to save time . It is important to allow the proving ie dough rising in order to get the right texture but when you have mastered this it is amazingly easy. Here is the recipe. Voila.
1. Mix olive oil, honey and water together in a bowl.
2. Put flour, instant yeast and salt in the mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
3. Slowly add in water mixture (No 1) into flour mixture(No 2), knead till elastic dough. Keep aside to rise until double size.
4. Place a baking paper or silicone baking mat over a sheet pan, or use a French bread pan, sprinkle with the yellow cornmeal.
5. Divide the dough into 3 pieces.
6. Roll into balls and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
7. Press the ball lightly and shape into a long oval, do the same with another ball.( I dusting the worktop with yellow cornmeal too)
8. Use the side of your hand press the center of the dough, and roll again (do it 2-3 times until you get a desired length )
9. Place the shaped dough over a prepared pan.
10. Let the dough rise until almost double in size, about 30 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven 220°C and place a roasting pan in the lowest shelf of the oven.
12. With a very sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across top of each loaf. Put the bread into the oven and pour the boiling water into the roasting pan, bake for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Now all you have to do is eat and enjoy! Great with almost anything especially a glass of red!